Sunday, June 27, 2010

Calzones

Rhodes Texas Rolls, thawed & risen
Pepperoni
Sliced olives
Chopped mushrooms
Chopped green &/or red peppers
Chopped red onion
Mozzarella cheese
Any other pizza toppings your heart desires!
Heated pizza/pasta sauce

Two rolls make one large and delicious calzone. Squish two thawed rolls together and roll out flat into a 10 inch circle. Combine pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, onion, peppers and cheese, place 3/4 to 1 cup of mixture on each circle (the more filling, the better!). Fold the dough over and seal edges with fork. Place on sprayed baking sheet, bake at 350* for 20-25 min or until starting to turn golden brown. Serve with sauce for dipping.

* These were so great! The first time I made these, I ended up using three rolls together to make one very large calzone. They were huge and extremely filling which is good when you have a hungry husband like I do. :-) I served them with sweet corn on the cob. A yummy and light side dish to compliment these heavy calzones.
I actually like to spread some of the pizza/pasta sauce on the calzones before adding the toppings. I leave some room on the edges so they seal. I think I am going to start adding a bit more cheese next time to make them cheesier and the recipe is right, the more filling the better!
I love the fact that all I had to do is thaw the frozen rolls for several hours and then fill & cook them so they are super easy and quick and that is a huge plus! I sprinkled some Italian seasoning on the top of the calzones right as I was throwing them in the oven for some added taste! YUM!

Adapted from Mrs. Harding Cooks
(Photo from Budget Bytes)

2 comments:

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your calzones look really yummy! They'd make a great Friday night supper.

Karrissa Winward said...

I didn't know you had a recipe blog. How fun! I will have to add you to mine!